In 1960, units of the 50th Rocket Red Banner Army, which was part of the Strategic Missile Forces, were stationed in the Belarusian Military District.
In 1987, the USSR and the USA signed the Treaty on the Elimination of Intermediate-Range and Shorter-Range Missiles. After that, all missiles with a range of 500 to 5500 km were destroyed in Belarus. The last of them, P-12 from Pruzhany, was dismantled on May 23, 1990. Earlier, on October 27, 1989, the OTR-23 Oka launcher was destroyed in Stankovo.
After the collapse of the USSR, Belarus was the eighth country in the world in terms of stockpiles of nuclear weapons. The total number of warheads was 1120. About 180 formations, units and institutions numbering about 40 thousand people belonged to the grouping of strategic nuclear forces.
In July 1993, Belarus officially acceded to the NPT(Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons), becoming the first state to voluntarily renounce the possibility of possessing nuclear weapons left after the collapse of the USSR.